Friday, March 12, 2010

Past Life screechin' to the scrapyard

It was a Dark and Gray day that they came and took her away. The mold clung to her sides like my memories of cross country travels we had made together for ten years in the early '90's to the 2000's. She had almost 50,000 miles under her when she came into my life. I more than doubled that in our time together. I could write a book, should write a book, about our adventures across and around this great nation. She took me into S. Florida down to the Keys. Up through New York where we crossed over into Canada. Across I-20 into Arizona down through Yuma where she took me into the Baja of Mexico for 15 weeks in '97. Countless states and county fairs. Illegally camped in parking lots, rest areas, dirt roads that went nowhere. Getting escourted off daytona beach while cooking dinner because the tide was coming in. Sleeping on a giant incline on Lovers lane in West Virginia till the parts store opened the next morning. Throwing parties in downtown Atlanta outside the clubs my friends bands were playing at. The stories are almost endless and very entertaining, maybe I will write them down someday. Till then, these pictures will have to help keep them alive in my head. I thought the tow truck was gonna be a little bigger than what showed up. Did the job though.

The right rear wheels were locked up, so the driver just dragged her away hoping that that they would break free once on the road. We have a real nice trench in the yard now.
The wheels did not break free right away. The driver kept draggin' her while I sat and listened to the scream coming off her smoking tire. I'm not sure she wanted to leave but after about a quarter of a mile she went silent. The driver picked up some speed and a part of my past life disappeared around the corner leaving me with my memories and a open spot to put something else! Anyone have a big boat that doesn't work? Lia would really love that!


I forgot to watch the local news and see if there was any stories about a motorhome falling apart on the roads to Alabama. Hope it went OK for the guy. NOT MY PROBLEM ANYMORE!!!



1 comment:

  1. Sorry dude, that was kind of sad. Sounds like you had some great times. Just remember that the magic is in the memories and not in the heap of useless metal. Someday as you enjoy a cold coke, you may be holding part of the aluminum siding from her that's been recycled.

    I'll keep my eye out for an old boat!

    ReplyDelete